Oh my goodness! Have I found a fabulously easy dinner? YES I HAVE!!! I have been craving enchiladas for the past few weeks, since going back to work, I have no time anymore to make homemade dinners! I called on the Food Gods and they answered my foodie prayers! Voila…ENCHILADAS!! Hope you enjoy this……..scratch that…….YOU WILL!!!
Makes: 5 enchiladas
Bake: 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes
Here’s what you’ll need…
- 5 whole wheat (fajita style) flour tortillas
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz) refried beans
- Shredded Pepper-Jack cheese
Enchilada Sauce: Makes 2 cups (approx.)
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP olive oil (I use Grape Seed Oil)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
Directions for Sauce:
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and cook until just browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and oregano and cook for about 30 seconds (this will give your sauce a fuller flavor).
Add in the tomato sauce and chicken stock. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for approx. 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer, pressing on the onion to extract the sauce ( I skip this step because I like the onions to be included in my enchiladas and this sauce can be kept in the fridge up to a week).
Directions for Enchiladas:
- Place flour tortilla flat on wax paper, spread 1/5 of the can of refried beans to the edges of the tortilla with the back of a spoon (this will act as a glue). Continue doing this to all 5 tortillas. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat and season with a little salt and black pepper. Cook until brown and remove from heat, drain grease, return to skillet.
- Spread a small amount of enchilada sauce in the middle of the tortilla, place 1/5 of the cooked ground beef (in a line across the tortilla) over the sauce, repeat for all 5 tortillas.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over beef (use as much as you want…remember to save some for the baking process!)
- Bring one side and fold (roll) over until the tortilla is sealed. Place in a 13×9″ pan and place each filled and rolled tortilla (seam-side down) smother the enchiladas with the remaining sauce, then add shredded cheese and bake in the oven (350 degrees) for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly!